Grow Food Northampton’s mission is to promote food security by advancing sustainable agriculture in the Northampton, Massachusetts area.
We own a 120-acre community farm that provides access to land and markets for local farmers using sustainable practices and selling to local markets. We also manage a large community garden, the vibrant downtown Tuesday Market, and many programs providing food access to low-income families and educational opportunities for young people.
Organic Community Gardening and Affordable Farmland
Food Access and Farm Education Programs
- Increase the supply and accessibility of space for food growing and of locally grown food.
- Educate the community about sustainable agriculture and help residents gain the skills and resources to grow food organically.
- Support the development of a vibrant, local, agriculture economy.
- Broad access to high quality, nutritious, locally grown food improves community health and reduces health inequalities.
- Food security is an elemental long-term investment for our children.
- A strong, diversified local food economy strengthens our food security and increases our resilience in the face of economic instability, climate change, energy depletion and other possible threats.
- Independent small-scale farms that directly feed their communities dignify both the farmer and the consumer; farmers with a direct stake in the local market are more reliable, efficient, and accountable; consumers who are intimate with their food chain and their farmers will respect and support them more effectively.
- Successful agriculture looks to the past and the future: it studies lessons from our farming history, embraces new research into sustainable practices, critically examines current agricultural paradigms, and fosters farm-based and food-based learning in the entire community.
- Farmers deserve access to affordable farmland and local markets, and should have the opportunity to build equity in their enterprise.