Grow Food Northampton’s mission is to promote food security by advancing sustainable agriculture in the Northampton, Massachusetts area.
(Food security is the assured availability of sufficient, nutritious food)
Our Goals & Actions
- Increase the supply and accessibility of space for food growing and of locally grown food.
- Educate the community about sustainable agriculture and help residents gain the skills and resources to grow food organically.
- Support the development of a vibrant, local, agriculture economy.
To increase local food access, we …
- Steward a sustainable community farm that provides food for the local community.
- Manage an organic community garden.
- Facilitate the preservation of farms and prime farmland in our area.
- Make affordable garden space and nutritious local food more available to disadvantaged populations.
- Provide new farmers with affordable farmland for lease.
- Encourage innovative farming and gardening methods among local food growers.
To foster education in sustainable, organic agriculture we …
- Provide hands-on learning opportunities in sustainable agriculture and facilitate the sharing of information, tools and resources.
- Establish educational partnerships with local schools, service agencies, and other agricultural organizations.
- Disseminate broadly up-to-date information & resources regarding local agriculture, and archive & share our “lessons learned”.
To support the creation of a local, vibrant sustainable agriculture economy, we…
- Assist in the creation and execution of a broadly supported “agricultural vision” for Northampton.
- Collaborate with agricultural and farm conservation organizations, and food-producers throughout the Connecticut River Valley of Western Massachusetts to identify and fill gaps in our current food system.
- Spotlight the benefits of small-scale, sustainable agriculture over industrial farming.
Longer Range Actions
- Support a greater diversity of sustainable food growing and processing enterprises.
- Enhance the economic viability of small-scale farming in our area including the means of producing, processing, storing, distributing and marketing local food.
- Collaborate with farm-to-school programs to improve the nutritional value of school meals.
- We believe that broad access to high quality, nutritious, locally grown food improves community health and reduces health inequalities.
- We believe that food security is an elemental long-term investment for our children.
- We believe that a strong, diversified local food economy strengthens our food security and increases our resilience in the face of economic instability, climate change, energy depletion and other possible threats.
- We believe that independent small-scale farms that directly feed their communities dignify both the farmer and the consumer; farmers with a direct stake in the local market are more reliable, efficient, and accountable; consumers who are intimate with their food chain and their farmers will respect and support them more effectively.
- We believe that successful agriculture looks to the past and the future: it studies lessons from our farming history, embraces new research into sustainable practices, critically examines current agricultural paradigms, and fosters farm-based and food-based learning in the entire community.
- We believe that farmers deserve access to affordable farmland and local markets, and should have the opportunity to build equity in their enterprise.